Sunday, April 19, 2009

A Shelf for My Liddle Kiddles...
















You know those boxes of cards that you buy over at Costco? They are a nice thick card board, nice and sturdy, and you don't want to throw them away (if you are like me) because it would be a waste of a darn good nice box. So, I have several of those little boxes laying around in the garage. Earlier this week I was inspired. I have been wanting to clear out my laundryroom which is a mess and simplify. Maybe some paint but definately remake the space. The problem is that my laundryroom has become a dumping ground for several items. One thing I wanted to do was have a shelf to display my Liddle Kiddle collection. I have thought of making mini doll house shelving but never have gotten far. So when I saw the box I decided to cover this and make it into a cute little shelf. First I got out one of my favorite paper lines, Graphic 45, they have a great paper line of vintage scrap booking papers. I used several techniques to make the shelf. I found that using my favorite glue (modge podge) is hard on larger projects because the paper tends to bubble if you don't get equal coverage and that can ruin an entire project. The paper is double sided which means it is as thick as card stock. I found that by taking a large pan and filling it with a bit of water and then laying the paper I was using in the pan for just a few seconds did the trick. I then could use a boning tool and almost like wall papering a wall was able to put that paper on effortlessly. Be careful not to tear the paper, if you leave it in the water too long that will surely happen. You just want to barley dampen the paper. I then paper pieced the scenes inside the little shelves. After it was all dry I then sealed it up with matte modge podge so it can be cleaned through the years and will be water resistant. I then finished it off with facing the shelf with black velvet rick rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment