Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Doug and Amylia Duke it out over Fabric


Okay, it isn't that I particularly enjoy doing things without my husbands blessing. It is just that if you know Doug and I when it comes to decorating (and living almost 17 years together) you know that we are like oil and water. That is why Davenport went up while he was working....and why the rug was bought as a present for myself (while he was working)...and why things magically appear when he comes home.

I was relieved when Doug didn't object to the white rug. Huge hurdle here. I wanted to go out and buy paint immediately. But fabric had to come next so I had something to spring from. We planned to meet at JoAnn Fabrics. I knew the fabric I wanted before I went because my friend Barbara and I looked earlier in the week. Including Doug in the "picking the fabric" choice was a bad idea. I knew it from experience. I was hoping for an open mind on his part...okay, PRAYING for an open mind.

He arrived to the store first. I was close behind. I saw him in the fabric isle with a grin on his face. He excitedly remarked, "I found the perfect fabric!" I followed him right past the row where my choice was and over to fabric that was brown, black and cream. No color. Same as we always have. He continued to explain how his choice will work for curtains, throws, pillows...and so on and so forth...the babbling went in one of my ears and out the other. I simply said, "We have done that, I want something different. I want color."

I could feel the tensions rise as I took him over to my fabric choice. A gorgeous smokey green/blue with white flowers and taupe stems. Something I normally would not choose because it is so feminine. I explained how the feminine fabric would soften the hard modern lines of our furniture. How I could paint two of the walls the green/blue and leave the other the Davenport...how it gives me a spring board for color.

It is then when he says, "Where is the black". I tell him that black is an element in our couch, piano and wall hangings. It doesn't need to be in the fabrics. I also mention something in a not so nice tone, "Don't you ever watch Candice Olsen?" He then in a smart tone starts spouting off his resume to me...I then in an even smarter tone and a higher pitched voice tell him I hate what we have had in the past and want to go completely opposite. I can tell by this time his blood pressure is raised and we are drawing a few eyes our way. He takes a few turns around the fabric isles to cool off. Then he says, "do what you want, you always do anyway!" And he leaves.

It crosses my mind that I could either leave and figure it out later (which means never get the fabric I fell in love with) or not back down and just buy it. It is a good thing I was more than a little ticked off because I took the fabric down, had it cut and paid for it.

When I got home I was glad to see he wasn't there yet. I ran in and hung it over the bare curtain rod to see what it would look like. Wow, it looked so good to me. I went out and did some weeding in the yard and saw him pull in and go into the house. A few hours later I came in and guess what he said?? "I actually like the fabric." I said, "are you kidding?" He replied, "no, I wouldn't kid about that". Wowzers. I won!!

No comments:

Post a Comment