Thursday, May 21, 2009

I'm not too good for the Dollar Store

My 19 1/2 year old son is back home, looking for a job, smack dab in the middle of this horrible economy. He was in the kitchen with his girlfriend when I came in one day and I announced that there was a new Dollar Store opening up and a sign was in the window stating they were doing walk in interviews the following week. When I announced this news he smirked, then laughed (as if I were ridiculous for even mentioning it), and then said, "Mom, I am not going to work at the dollar store". Okay, so if not then what is he going to do? Hummm, play more video games until his brain goes numb?? I explained how it would be a great job until he could move onto something he may feel would suit him better. I mentioned the interview a few more times that week and asked him if he was going to go in---but he always avoided answering me.

I feel that there is a problem with this generation of children...particularly my children...who feel entitled. Entitled to have the best of the best without working hard. It is down right upsetting to me. I am not sure how this has even come about. Doug and I have worked our buns off to be where we are today. So the more I thought about this job the more upset I became.

Thursday arrived...and his friend came over to our house with his television and XBox and there they sat, Thing 1 and Thing 2, not showered, playing video games, feeling entitled....and so I popped the question again, "are you going to the dollar store to apply?" No answer.

I was so mad at that time that I told Jordan I was not too good to work at the dollar store and I was going to apply myself. And I did just that. I drove over there, walked in, filled out an application, and was hired on the spot. It felt great, almost like sweet revenge. I was actually excited...Plus, I love the dollar store. I shop there often and find great treasures to transform into my altered art. On my way out I grabbed two more applications and went home.

When I got back home I put those applications in front of Thing1 and Thing 2 and told them to get their buns down there before 1:00 ore else. I was shocked to see that they actually listened. Was it because I had gotten a job? Well, I am not sure...but they finally got a clue...and guess what? Now we all three work at the dollar store!

2 comments:

  1. Way to go mom! My son WAS the same way (he is now in military intelligence serving in the Air Force) and my daughter is a workaholic... don't know how that worked out, just lucky I guess.

    ReplyDelete